François Combaud, interior designer and designer based in Montpellier, presents the hotel Saint-Clair whose renovation, carried out by Sam Renovation, ended in early summer 2019. Located on the beach, this former center commercial become hotel sports the picturesque separate architecture of La Grande Motte. François Combaud details this project, as well as his collaboration with La Cimenterie de La Tour on cement tiles and their design.
The renovation project of the Saint-Clair hotel
– François, was there an initial request, specific expectations for this renovation project?
– The client wanted at first to give a boost to his hotel and optimize the exploitation of spaces. He had charm but lacked soul and style. In itself, she had no particular desire for style. I had carte blanche on the concept.
– Which direction did you decide to take in terms of style and concept?
– Despite the fact that the hotel was originally a shopping center, I chose to bring the hotel back to its time of construction. The concept is drawn from the 60s and 70s, palm spring and case study, which are pure lines, pure colors and maximum light. The building lent itself perfectly and the request also.
– In this project, what led you to choose cement tiles?
– The cement tiles allowed me to make tailor-made and therefore choose patterns, colors and style. They also allowed me to bring this little extra, this code and this warm aspect that everyone knows.
– Why did you choose the La Tour Cement Factory as a collaborator and supplier?
– The Cimenterie de La Tour is above all a local partner with a response and a flawless know-how. I try to make the local actors, craftsmen and companies work as much as possible. The La Tour Cement Factory also represents a historical partner of the company that did the work, Sam Rénovation.
– What was your source of inspiration for the reason you drew?
– I was inspired by the embankments of the beaches of Ipanema in Brazil. It is a simple pattern but at the same time present and easy to decline. I wanted this motif to echo the trellis. So I rework this pattern accordingly and according to these constraints.
Today, the Saint-Clair hotel
– Do you have any comments on this project when finished?
– The owners as well as the customers are delighted! Young people in the past please people (laughs). I am quite satisfied with this project, to tell the truth. Of course there are things that I will have worked differently. I could have insisted to continue in the dynamics of the cement tiles in the colors to bring this famous heat. But it’s only detail! (to laugh)
What we can remember from cement tiles, according to the interior designer, is indeed the fact that they allow a play of colors through the warm material. Do not hesitate to visit our Cimenterie de la Tour showroom or our project simulator. We will advise you in the choice of cement tiles.
Many thanks to François Combaud for his answers !